(859) 746-0500

No family member wants to make the decision to put their parents or grandparents into a skilled nursing home but there are reasons beyond their control that make it necessary. There is nothing “bad” or “wrong” with placing a loved one in a nursing home if it is in their best interest and your own. Accepting the help of a good facility while keeping an eye on things and continuing to care for your loved one is your new role. Your main objective will be that your loved ones are to receive proper care and treatment while under the care of the medical staff.

Kentucky Elder Abuse Statistics

According to state officials, Kentucky received 23,766 reports alleging abuse, neglect, or exploitation of people aged 60 and older in the state fiscal year 2020. Kentucky is a mandatory reporting state, which means that any person who has a reasonable cause to suspect that an adult has suffered abuse, neglect, or exploitation is legally obliged to report it to Adult Protective Services. To report any suspected elder abuse, call the hotline at 1-877-597-2331 or 1-877-KYSAFE1. If there is imminent risk, immediately call 911 or local law enforcement.

Spotting The Invisible Signs Of Elder Abuse

It is not always evident that your loved one is being abused or neglected. Sometimes there are no outward signs such as bruising or sores. Your loved one may have a lack of interaction, if they seem withdrawn and depressed, they may be suffering from abuse. Be sure and check their finances as most skilled facilities handle part of the patient’s finances. There have been several cases of abuse where funds are diverted to someone on the staff of the care facility. Also be concerned if your loved one is not caring for their personal appearance. If they are no longer caring for their daily hygiene, it may be a sign that they are being abused or neglected.

Spotting The Visible Signs of Elder Abuse

Often this kind of abuse shows up as visible injuries:

  • Unexplained burns, cuts, bruises, and bleeding
  • Sprained or broken bones
  • Injuries that happen over and over
  • The person doesn’t want to see a doctor about their wounds
  • Sexual abuse

Psychological Abuse

This is any action that hurts a person emotionally. It can happen when someone threatens them, yells at them, calls them names or talks down to them, ignores them over and over, and controls what they do, who they see, and where they go.

What You Need To Know

If you or someone you love experienced nursing home abuse, you may be eligible for compensation. Nursing homes receiving Medicaid or Medicare funds must comply with federal regulations. According to CFR 483.13, all residents have “the right to be free from verbal, sexual, physical, and mental abuse, corporal punishment, and involuntary seclusion.” Getting a lawyer to file your nursing home abuse claim holds staff accountable for their actions and stops funding to facilities that violate the federal standard of care guidelines. No attorney can undo the harm that has been done to your loved one, but they can help ensure they are compensated for the suffering they have endured. And they can make sure the people responsible can never have an opportunity to do harm to another senior in their care.

Watch for signs of any of the above kinds of abuse in your loved one’s actions. If their relationships with you or any of their other loved ones change it can be a good sign of someone in the facility abusing them. And always checks for physical abuse by checking their body or asking them about sores or bruises and talking to them about their happiness and contentment.

Contact (859-746-0500) Michael O’Hara, PLLC for a Consultation

About Michael A. O’Hara, PLLC

When you have to deal with the justice system – whether related to a civil or criminal matter – you need more than the truth on your side. You need a skilled attorney who can employ sound legal strategies to produce the results you are hoping for. I am attorney Michael A. O’Hara, and I am licensed to practice in Kentucky and Ohio at the state level, as well as in Federal District Court and the Federal Court of Claims. I have been representing clients in the Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area since 1994.